What Are Cookies and How Do We Use Them?
A cookie is a small piece of information sent by a website that is saved on your hard disk by your computer's browser. It holds information a site may need to interact with you and personalize your experience. At berlitz.com, we use two kinds of cookies: session cookies and persistent cookies.
Session cookies exist only for as long as your browser remains open. Once you exit your browser, they go away. We use session cookies to maintain information we need to have in order for you to shop at berlitz.com. For example, the Session ID cookie that we ask your browser to hold retains the ID for your shopping bag. Without the Session ID cookie, you can't add merchandise to your bag and carry it to Checkout.
Persistent cookies, in contrast, last from visit to visit; they do not go away when you exit your browser. At berlitz.com, we may use persistent cookies to give you a more personalized shopping experience and to help you navigate our site more efficiently. Any information collected and maintained in this fashion will be used to enhance your site experience. However, you can use our site without accepting a persistent cookie. To do so, you should set your browser options to reject persistent cookies. Alternatively, you can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie request, which gives you the opportunity to decide whether you want to accept it or not. In many instances, the Help button on your browser toolbar will tell you how you can take these steps.
Cookies can be used by a website to recognize you. But that does not necessarily mean any personal information is stored in the cookies. At berlitz.com, we store no personal information about you in the cookies. Anything you choose to tell us about yourself (such as your address and e-mail address) is stored on our secured servers.
What Information Do We Collect?
We collect various types of information depending upon how you use our site.
- When you order from us, we collect your name, address, email address, phone number, and credit card number with expiration date.
- When you order from us, we retain a record of your purchases.
- When you enter a sweepstakes or contest online, we usually collect your name, address, email address, and phone number. We also may ask you for additional information, such as your age, interests, product preferences, or zip code.
- When you submit an inquiry, we need your name, email address and zip code to respond.
- We may also collect information about your usage of the site for analysis purposes and to enhance your site experience.
Examples of the information we may collect and analyze include the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; email address; computer and connection information such as browser type and version, operating system, and platform; the connection to, through, and from our Web site, including date and time; cookie number and products you viewed or searched for.
How Do We Use Your Information?
We may use your information in a number of ways, including the following:
- To process orders or to respond to inquiries.
- To enhance your online experience. For example, we may use it to recognize you and welcome you to the site.
- For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we send out e-mails to our customers about products or events that we think may be of interest to them. We also may send you offers for discounts or free services.
- We may send you an email offer. We do this only if you have indicated previously that you are willing to receive email offers. Each time we send an email offer, we provide you with the opportunity to opt out of receiving future email offers.
- Berlitz respects your privacy. We will not call you unless you have indicated telephone as your preferred contact method. In addition, your phone number will not be sold or given to any third party
Do We Share Your Information?
We may share the information with third parties, including responsible companies with which we have a relationship. For example:
- Berlitz.us may team with a marketing agency or another website, to conduct a sweepstakes or other event. In this case, each of the participating third parties may collect or receive personal information from you because you will be visiting their websites or using their links and, in doing so, you may provide information directly to them. Therefore, you should refer to their privacy policies to understand how they handle your information and what kinds of choices you have.
- Berlitz may also share your personal information with outside companies that perform services for Berlitz. For example, we may retain an outside company to manage a database containing certain customer information or to create and distribute an email offering. When we work with an outside party, berlitz.com will take appropriate steps designed to ensure your information will be used solely to provide the services requested by berlitz.com, and not for other purposes.
- Additionally, Berlitz may share your information when it is necessary to comply with law or to protect our interests or property. This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, credit bureaus, agents or government agencies in connection with issues related to fraud, credit or debt collection, and other types of criminal investigation.
Is My Information Secure?
Berlitz.us is committed to doing its best to maintain the security of information collected on our site. To try to prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have implemented appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect.
When you use a browser allowing for encryption and our online submission forms (not email), your personal information submitted to berlitz.com is protected. To protect the security of your information during transmission we use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts the information you input.
What About Children's Privacy?
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act took effect on April 21, 2000 and imposes certain requirements on websites directed toward children under 13 that collect information on those children, or on websites that know they are collecting information on children under the age of 13. We want to let you know that it currently is our policy not to knowingly collect personal information for any person under 13. For this reason, our online sweepstakes are restricted to entrants who, at a minimum, are 18 years old.
We cannot guarantee that links from Berlitz.us to other sites follow our safety or privacy guidelines. We encourage adults and children to discuss these choices together. We are not responsible for the content, safety or privacy practices of any sites linked from our pages.
Berlitz.us does not sell products or services for purchase by children. We sell children's products and services for purchase by adults. If you are under 18, you may purchase our products and services at our site only with involvement of a parent or guardian.
Due to the changing nature of the Internet, Berlitz reserves the right to change this policy at any time.
Berlitz U.S. Safe Harbor Privacy Program
For personal information received from the European Economic Area, Berlitz is committed to handling such personal information in accordance with the Safe Harbor Principles as administered by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Berlitz's Safe Harbor certification can be found at the following url https://safeharbor.export.gov/list.aspx For more information about the Safe Harbor Principles, please visit the Department of Commerce's website at http://www.export.gov/.
How Can You Contact Us?
If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please select your country and use the contact-us form.