Free online language placement test
Test your English, German, French, Spanish or Italian
Take our free online language placement test and get an immediate assessment of your current language skills in: German, English, French, Spanish or Italian.
The 30-minute language proficiency test will determine your current Berlitz language level, and will also benchmark your current ability on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale, an international standard recognised by employers and educational institutions worldwide.
- Microsoft Windows versions 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7; Mac OS X
- Browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari
- Adobe® Flash player version 9 or higher
- 512 MB RAM, 1000 MHz CPU
- Sound card, external speakers or headset
- For the best possible view, please set the screen resolution to 1024x768 pixels
- Flash Player is not installed or disturbed
- Pop-ups are blocked
- The local network is overloaded (please try again later)
- Your firewall blocks the test
How our language placement test works
Our online language proficiency test will take around 30 minutes, so you’ll need to find a space where you can work uninterrupted.
During the foreign language placement test you will answer 63 questions. Your answers will be timed to assess how quickly you comprehend the language.
The questions are designed to assess the following in-language skills:
- Vocabulary - Questions in the test will feature a large vocabulary to assess how comprehensive and your understanding of the language is. For example, do you know a few simple key phrases? Or do you have a deeper understanding of the language?
- Listening - You will also be tested on how well you understand the language through a number of spoken questions and phrases. The speed at which you answer them will also help us to gauge how quickly you comprehend the language.
- Reading - A number of questions will focus on how well you can read and understand the nuance of the language. These questions will gradually increase in difficulty throughout the foreign language placement test.
- Grammar - We will also assess your understanding of grammar by presenting you with in-language questions with answers that are dependent on grammar to make sense.
Knowledge of language is sufficient to communicate in a very limited way, with the simplest oral and listening tasks and situations.
At the functional level, you have a basic command of the language needed in a limited range of simple, routine, and familiar tasks and situations.
You can handle most uncomplicated communicative tasks and routine social and work situations. You can follow the general meaning of a conversation about familiar subjects.
At the intermediate level, you are able to refashion and combine learned material to meet your immediate communication and learning needs. You can comprehend information on familiar topics in contextualized settings and produce sustained conversation with others on an expanding variety of general topics.
You can, to an extent, initiate, sustain and conclude most routine communicative tasks for personal and work needs.
At the upper intermediate level, you have assimilated the essentials of the language. You can communicate competently and comfortably in many professional and personal contexts, and can find different ways of formulating what you want to express.
You begin to create with the language in more complex and demanding conversations and can deal comfortably with most subjects over the telephone.
At the advanced level, you communicate effectively and appropriately even in demanding oral tasks and situations, like conducting a meeting. You can participate easily in social and professional conversations, and can deal comfortably with most subjects over the telephone.
You communicate effectively with various audiences on a wide range of familiar and new topics to meet most personal, academic or professional demands—including many which presume experience in public speaking and critical listening.
At the professional level, you have full command of the language. You understand and can use virtually all linguistic structures; as well as a range of vocabulary items as broad and deep as that of most educated native speakers. Communication is fluent, appropriate and well organized—you develop ideas in speech clearly and coherently.
Language test FAQs
- You need to know where you’re starting from in order to plan your learning journey. The Berlitz foreign language placement test will give you an honest appraisal of your current in-language ability.
- Based on your proficiency level, we will recommend courses that will build your current skills to get you where you want to be.
- Sharing your language proficiency level with employers and educational institutions will give them a good understanding of your exact skill level as it currently stands.
There are 5 proficiency levels on the Berlitz scale: Functional, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, Advanced, and Professional. Each level has two steps, so the gradings range from 1 to 10.
- Functional, Levels 1 and 2: You have a rudimentary understanding of the language and can ask and answer basic questions.
- Intermediate, Levels 3 and 4: You can follow the general meaning of conversations and can handle uncomplicated communication in social and work situations.
- Upper Intermediate, Levels 5 and 6: You can sustain general conversation at work and in social situations.
- Advanced, Levels 7 and 8: You have a more complex grasp of the language and can keep up with technical and demanding conversations.
- Professional, Levels 9 and 10: You have a free and natural grasp of the language and are comfortable communicating in any setting, including public speaking and academic situations.
- After you complete your test, you will be taken to a waiting screen where you will wait while your results are calculated. This will take around one minute.
- Once your results are ready they will appear on screen. Your results will include your Berlitz Level and where you sit on the CEFR scale.
- Below your results we will recommend two courses that are suitable for your current proficiency level.
- You can reach out to us via phone, or online to discuss your individual goals, so we can place you in the perfect course to suit your lifestyle, learning style and your ambitions.
Discover your language proficiency level.
Berlitz placement test analyses your listening/reading skills, grammar and vocabulary.
Complete in 30min. Instant result.
Find out more
Fill in the form below and we’ll contact you to discuss your learning options and answer any questions you may have.