Talking about family in day-to-day situations
Family small talk is inevitable in many everyday situations, such as during the coffee break at the office or when you meet someone new at a party. To help you feel more confident when talking about family with your friends, coworkers, or people you’ve just met, here are some common family-related questions and answers that may come in handy:
Common conversation examples to discuss family
Question: How many brothers and sisters do you have?
Answer: I’ve got one older brother and two younger sisters.
Question: How many siblings do you have?
Answer: I have two sisters, one older and one younger.
Question: Do you have a big family?
Answer: My family consists of my mom, my stepdad, my brother Michael and my dog Bruno.
Question: Do you have kids?
Answer: I have a 5-year-old daughter.
Question: What's your family like?
Answer: My family is very close. My sisters are my best friends! We all get along really well and have lots of fun together.
Age of family members
Here are some phrases you can use to talk about your family members’ age – as long as you remember English numbers!
- My big sister is 17 years old.
- My little brother is turning 5 and going to school this year.
- My puppy is 1 year old, and my parrot is 2. (Animals are also a part of the family! And if you need to refresh the animal vocabulary, you can find out guide to 109 marvelous animals in English here.)
- My parents are over 60 years old, and they will retire soon.
- I have two kids – a 3-year-old son and a 1-year-old daughter.
Describing your family in English
If you ever need to describe your family in English, we’re coming to the rescue! Here are some expressions you can use.
- My mom and dad have brown eyes, and so do I. But my sister has blue eyes!
- I got my curly black hair from my dad. My mother has red hair!
- I’m married to a twin!
- My family is small. It’s just me, my mom, and my dad.
- I take after my dad, but my sister takes after our mom.
- My sister is shorter than me, but she’s also prettier!