Why beginners should learn German with Berlitz
With so many award-winning scholars from their home country, it may come as no surprise that Germany is prominent in the academic community. In fact, it ranks second as the most widely used language of science, and German universities have an excellent international reputation. Germany, as the largest economy within the European Union and the fourth largest in the world, is very well-positioned economically and is home to many international companies. Therefore, the ability to speak German is becoming increasingly attractive to many.
Beginners, in particular, who want to learn German from the start, will find the right language course to suit their needs with Berlitz. Over the past 140 years, Berlitz has helped millions of people around the world learn a new language and succeed in a global environment. Thanks to our many years of practice, we at Berlitz have optimized our course offerings to ensure that there is the perfect language course for everyone and that they meet the expectations and needs of our students.
What do you learn in our German for beginners course?
Our basic or beginner course consists of four proficiency levels. After completing each of these levels, you will be able to do the following:
Berlitz Level 1 | CEFR Level A 1
- Communicate your name, address, and telephone number
- Name numbers, letters, and colors with correct pronunciation
- Give personal information to describe others and ask for it
- Ask for the time and date and know the days of the week
- Ask for directions and give instructions
- Make phone calls to leave a brief message
- Describe the weather and the seasons
Berlitz Level 2 | CEFR Level A 2.1
- Describe travel plans and itineraries
- Describe your work and responsibilities
- Talk in detail about the weather and seasons
- Talk about your vacation plans
- Make a reservation at a hotel or restaurant
- Describe different meals and explain what your favorite meal is like
- Describe your home and neighborhood in detail
Berlitz Level 3 | CEFR Level A 2.2
- Make plans and suggest places to meet
- Describe vacation plans and leisure activities
- Order and describe food in a restaurant
- Talk about movies and buy event tickets
- Talk about traffic and ask for directions
- Ask about budgets and project specifications
Berlitz Level 4 | CEFR Level A 2.3
- Participate in social activities and special events
- Ask for and do favors and apologize
- Describe personal abilities and work skills
- Talk about finances
- Talk about current news and events
- Describe future plans
Further German language levels
German at an intermediate level
You will learn to hold uncomplicated conversations in social and professional situations and to talk about familiar topics in contextualized settings. You will also be able to hold sustained conversations with others on diverse topics.
You will begin to be able to hold complex and sophisticated conversations and communicate effectively with various audiences on diverse familiar and new topics. You will be able to speak German confidently in most situations in a personal, academic, or professional setting.
Berlitz offers German for beginners courses for everyone
In these courses, you will have the opportunity to fully immerse yourself in the German language and interact with other German learners at the same level. Our language trainers place great emphasis on helping you learn in a positive environment, so that you can develop and improve your skills every day.
German courses for adults
Our extensive range of courses offers the right German course for all beginners.
German courses for children and teenagers
All children and teenagers who would like to learn German will find the ideal language course at Berlitz.
German courses for business
We offer German courses for individual employees as well as for the entire company.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Do I also receive feedback during the course?
You will receive regular feedback to make sure you are on the right track and to continuously optimize your learning process.
Can I take a language course together with a friend?
Yes, you can participate together in one of our on-site group courses or our semi-private German courses (maximum 2 people), for example.
What do I need to participate in one of the online German courses?
All you need to participate in our online courses is a laptop or tablet with internet access and a headset.
Contact us today with your questions. We can work together to find the course that's right for you - with no obligation on your part. Your Berlitz team will contact you shortly.