Free online French proficiency test
Test your French online today!
Take our free online French test and find out your current proficiency level and what learning options are available to you today.At zero cost to you, our French test will give you an immediate score which will include your Berlitz French language level, as well as your global CEFR grading.
- Microsoft Windows versions 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7; Mac OS X
- Browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari
- Adobe® Flash player version 9 or higher
- 512 MB RAM, 1000 MHz CPU
- Sound card, external speakers or headset
- For the best possible view, please set the screen resolution to 1024x768 pixels
- Flash Player is not installed or disturbed
- Pop-ups are blocked
- The local network is overloaded (please try again later)
- Your firewall blocks the test
How our French proficiency test works
You don’t need to study for this French test, it exists to assess your current ability.
You will need to set aside 30 minutes in a quiet space where you will not be interrupted. Once you start the test, you cannot pause it and rejoin later. You must complete the test in one sitting.
Once you start the French level test you will make your way through a total of 63 questions, with each of your answers individually timed.
Your online placement test will cover the major areas needed to understand the language and communicate effectively, including:
- Vocabulary – There are around 135,000 words in the French language. Our online French test will assess how familiar you are with a wide variety of French words, to understand how accurately and concisely you can communicate in-language.
- Listening – You will be tested on how well you comprehend the French language when it is spoken to you through several audio-based questions.
- Reading – An essential skill to reach French fluency, you will be tested on your ability to read the French language.
- Grammar – French grammar is one of the key pillars of the language. Throughout the French test, you will be asked to read and interpret French to see how sophisticated your grammar skills are.
Knowledge of language is sufficient to communicate in a very limited way, with the simplest oral and listening tasks and situations.
At the functional level, you have a basic command of the language needed in a limited range of simple, routine, and familiar tasks and situations.
You can handle most uncomplicated communicative tasks and routine social and work situations. You can follow the general meaning of a conversation about familiar subjects.
At the intermediate level, you are able to refashion and combine learned material to meet your immediate communication and learning needs. You can comprehend information on familiar topics in contextualized settings and produce sustained conversation with others on an expanding variety of general topics.
You can, to an extent, initiate, sustain and conclude most routine communicative tasks for personal and work needs.
At the upper intermediate level, you have assimilated the essentials of the language. You can communicate competently and comfortably in many professional and personal contexts, and can find different ways of formulating what you want to express.
You begin to create with the language in more complex and demanding conversations and can deal comfortably with most subjects over the telephone.
At the advanced level, you communicate effectively and appropriately even in demanding oral tasks and situations, like conducting a meeting. You can participate easily in social and professional conversations, and can deal comfortably with most subjects over the telephone.
You communicate effectively with various audiences on a wide range of familiar and new topics to meet most personal, academic or professional demands—including many which presume experience in public speaking and critical listening.
At the professional level, you have full command of the language. You understand and can use virtually all linguistic structures; as well as a range of vocabulary items as broad and deep as that of most educated native speakers. Communication is fluent, appropriate and well organized—you develop ideas in speech clearly and coherently.
Language test FAQs
- The online French test will give you an accurate assessment of your current language ability.
- You will receive course recommendations specifically matched to your level of proficiency.
- You will be able to share your results with employers and educational institutions to demonstrate your aptitude.
There are 5 proficiency levels on the Berlitz scale: Functional, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, Advanced, and Professional. Each level has two steps, so the gradings range from 1 to 10.
- Functional, Levels 1 and 2: You have a rudimentary understanding of the language and can ask and answer basic questions.
- Intermediate, Levels 3 and 4: You can follow the general meaning of conversations and can handle uncomplicated communication in social and work situations.
- Upper Intermediate, Levels 5 and 6: You can sustain general conversation at work and in social situations.
- Advanced, Levels 7 and 8: You have a more complex grasp of the language and can keep up with technical and demanding conversations.
- Professional, Levels 9 and 10: You have a free and natural grasp of the language and are comfortable communicating in any setting, including public speaking and academic situations.
- Your results will take up to a minute to calculate. During this time, you will be taken to a waiting screen.
- You will receive two language scores, your Berlitz language level and your global CEFR ranking.
- We will recommend two courses specifically tailored to your language proficiency.
- If you want to learn more, you can reach out to us on the phone or online to discuss your individual goals and how to reach them.
Discover your French proficiency level.
Berlitz placement test analyses your listening/reading skills, grammar and vocabulary.
Complete in 30min. Instant result.
Find out more
Fill in the form below and we’ll contact you to discuss your learning options and answer any questions you may have.