Free online German language proficiency test
Test your German online today!
Whether you want to learn German for work, study, travel or general interest, our online German Placement Test will help you understand your current in-language ability and match you with learning options suited to your proficiency level.
Completely free of charge, our German test will provide you with two scores, your Berlitz Language Level, and where you sit on the global CEFR scale.
- Microsoft Windows versions 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7; Mac OS X
- Browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari
- Adobe® Flash player version 9 or higher
- 512 MB RAM, 1000 MHz CPU
- Sound card, external speakers or headset
- For the best possible view, please set the screen resolution to 1024x768 pixels
- Flash Player is not installed or disturbed
- Pop-ups are blocked
- The local network is overloaded (please try again later)
- Your firewall blocks the test
How our German test works
The German level test is timed and will take up to 30 minutes to complete, depending on how quickly you respond to the questions.
You will be asked 63 questions, with multiple choice answers for you to choose from. Each question has been specifically crafted to test your comprehension of the German language across four key areas:
- Vocabulary – You will be tested on how comprehensive your German vocabulary is as well as how well you interpret and understand German words and their usage.
- Listening – The German test will include several spoken questions which will test your in-language German listening and interpretation skills.
- Reading – Questions will also assess how well you understand written German.
- Grammar – Your understanding of the nuts and bolts of the German language, grammar, will be put to the test, to assess your ability to make meaning and sense with the language.
Language test FAQs
- The Berlitz German level test will give you an accurate assessment of your current language skills.
- Using your results, we will recommend a German language course that is suited to your current level of proficiency.
- You can share your German language score with employers and educational institutions to give them an idea of your current German language abilities.
There are 5 proficiency levels on the Berlitz scale: Functional, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, Advanced, and Professional. Each level has two steps, so the gradings range from 1 to 10.
- Functional, Levels 1 and 2: You have a rudimentary understanding of the language and can ask and answer basic questions.
- Intermediate, Levels 3 and 4: You can follow the general meaning of conversations and can handle uncomplicated communication in social and work situations.
- Upper Intermediate, Levels 5 and 6: You can sustain general conversation at work and in social situations.
- Advanced, Levels 7 and 8: You have a more complex grasp of the language and can keep up with technical and demanding conversations.
- Professional, Levels 9 and 10: You have a free and natural grasp of the language and are comfortable communicating in any setting, including public speaking and academic situations.
- You will be directed to a waiting screen where your results will take around a minute to calculate.
- You will receive two results: your Berlitz language level, and your global CEFR score.
- We will recommend several courses that are matched to your current availability.
- We encourage you to reach out to us online or over the phone to discuss your individual goals and the options best matched to you.
Discover your German proficiency level.
Berlitz placement test analyses your listening/reading skills, grammar and vocabulary.
Complete in 30min. Instant result.
Find out more
Fill in the form below and we’ll contact you to discuss your learning options and answer any questions you may have.